The Tale of a Bookworm

The story circles a young boy who is so desperate in finding what happened three years back. The boy, Adam, found out something that the others denied its existence; a secret organization. The quest put him at gunpoint when another guy was eager to destroy the truth of the organization when the guy has found out that Adam was searching for it too.

The secret organization had put the entire school in terror as they stole all the documents that is the proof of all the students schooling there; meaning the first form to the fifth form never learn there. It's now up to Adam to find it and unveil the truth of the organization as well as finding why they do that before the others destroy the organization and the documents.

Friday, March 27, 2009

My short story

Sword and Spear

Sitting on a chair in the corner of the shop where he was employed, Alexander Jones was waiting eagerly for the end of his shift. Working with his employer was a menace. His salary was never enough. It’s only enough for eating and sleeping in an inn for a night.

And it is the time to claim his salary.

He marched for the door of his employer’s room just to be heard about his arrival. The employer is such a stingy man. He hardly releases the money pouch on his grip. When he reached the door, he knocked twice.

“Come In,” said the employer.

He opened the door nervously. Sometimes he had to threaten him to get his salary. He’s such a stingy guy.

“What do you want?”

“You know, some people like you has a responsibility to give someone what must they get every day. You know, gifts, money, or maybe . . . salary. Ah . . . I know it’s hard. But you must give it to the rightful man. Like me,” said Alexander.

The employer opens his mouth but no word came out. This is a bad impression of his. Soon his ultimate stinginess will come out. But Alex didn’t care.

“Just give me the money will you?” Alexander demanded full in rage.

“Alright, take it.”

The employer threw the money pouch to his chest. Alexander takes it surprisingly. He never had been so good.

“Go, before I change my mind. There is a little bonus for you. It’s likely I change my mind faster.”

“Thanks, I don’t know what to say,” said Alexander.

“Wait, I just changed my mind. Give me back my money,” demanded the employer.

The employer had just stretch out his hand when Alexander stormed out of the door. He ran out of the shop and he went for the nearest inn. He doesn’t have his own house since his father died. He and his mother were forced out of the house because they have no money. That causes his mother to die. And the king cannot help the poor ones because he too short of money because he had to pay a monthly fee to the Flailing Spear faction who conquer their castle, Falchion.

Every day he had to walk near the castle walls. In that time, he can always see what happened outside and inside the city. Nothing much happened. Occasionally, there was a caravan that moved inside the castle and then goes out the next day. He wished his life was like that. Free to go anywhere. But he must stay. He’s not ready yet.

He saw something moved that night. A caravan. Some wealthy traveller’s caravan. Then, a pack of thieves rushed out of their hiding and approach that caravan.

A robbery had just happened in front of him.

“Hey! Guards! Look there! Someone’s robbing that caravan!” he shouted.

There were five guards on duty nearby looked at where he pointed. The guards wore sturdy leather armour with a pair of chain boots and a face-closing full helm.

“That’s the king’s caravan!” shouted one guard.

“Yes, it is,” the second guard says calmly. In a flicker of light, he suddenly withdraws his sabre and slashes it onto the first guard’s head.

“What the—“ said Alexander shockingly.

“You should not wander here, young man. For I shall cut your head off as you wander at a wrong place in the wrong time,” said the second guard. He then raises his sabre high to cut his head.

“No don’t!” said the other guard.

“This young man has seen enough. We cannot let him run loose.”

“And we cannot kill people at the same place twice. There are many bloods spilled here. We cannot spill more. I shall find other place to kill him,” the guard said. He then turns to face me. “You will follow me whether you like it or not.”

Alexander follows without hesitant. He leads him down the stair and then he stops.

“Alex, you have seen such treachery. You must run away. Hide from the people who know you. Lose your name. Never to use it again. You are now wanted. This place is not safe for you. Falchion is no longer safe by now.” said the guard.

“Who are you to tell me that?”

“Your friend,” he then removes his helm. That reveals his face.

That face looks familiar. He knows but he didn’t remember. He is one of his childhood friends. Then he remembered. It was—

“Aaron? You’re Aaron, right?”

“Yes, Alexander, it is me.”

“Where have you been? I haven’t seen you for a long time,” Alexander asked confusingly. He somehow came out of nowhere and rescued him from trouble.

“There’s no time. You must leave. It’s not safe here especially for you and me. I’ll tell you when it’s safe. If I am still alive of course,” Aaron said hastily but he changed his mind when he looked at Alexander’s confused face. Alexander opens his mouth to say something but Aaron said it first.

“Look, your life is endangered. What you’ve seen tonight is a really bad thing. The king’s caravan was attacked by mercenaries hired by the Jagged Sword faction. The king’s son was in this too. The faction wants the castle. The son wants to be king. Get it?”

“I think so. Wait. You didn’t say who you are. What’s your part in this treachery?” asked Alexander.

“I am a spy for the Flailing Spear faction. Well, I shouldn’t tell you that but I am a spy. It’s a long story how I be a spy but listen to this. You have seen the robbery. The kidnapping also. And you must know this. The three guards up there will report about your sighting but, if you leave here tonight you will be saved. Oh, maybe some or more bounty hunters, mercenaries, and a few desperate-people-who-need-money will be on your tail. Nothing much,” He said calmly hoping Alexander won’t go furious.

“Nothing much? Nothing much? I’ve got a reward on my head isn’t that much? How can I be saved from that? Besides, I don’t even know about the kidnapping. Maybe they’ll set me free.”

“They won’t give you justice,” he said with no hesitation.

“Great. I’m dead, Aaron.”

“No, you’re not. You will leave now. Get into the sewers and find a way out. Make sure you’re out on the east side. You’ll get more cover there. Find your new home out there. And lose your name. Take this with you too.”

He shoved his chest with a long sword. He took it gratefully. He examined the sword thoroughly. It has a brass handle with an awkward carving. He started to leave when he was stopped by Aaron.

“Wait. Give me a blow in the head, will you?” he made a request.

“With this? No!” he mentioned the sword.

“With your hand.”

He gathered up his strength and punched his head as hard as possible. Aaron fell down with aloud clang.

“Hey, what’s going on down there?” a guard up the wall looked down. He then saw Alexander with the sword on his hand. Then he looked at Aaron’s unconscious body.

Alexander then sped off as fast as he can.

“Hey, don’t run!” the guard shouted as he also starts running. Other guards were joining him also.

There is a junction in front of Alexander as he ran. He knows the sewer’s entrance is on the left. So he slows down and turns left. Then he jumped down a trapdoor nearby and closed the trapdoor.

He didn’t wait for the guards to realize he’s gone as he run inside the sewers. He ran down the sewers before as a child with Aaron, when they stole some food from the market. So, he knew the way out. Especially the east way out.

The journey in the sewers was tiring. When he got out, it was day already and he knew he must go far from the castle. The east way out sends him into the woods. He moves slowly inside the woods. He follows the road in great distances inside the woods. Nothing can spot him there. The forest ends in front of him so he must find cover fast. Yet, he realizes there was a mountain in front of him. He could try the mountain pass and disappears from the castle guard’s search parties. The mountain pass is still unpopular but his father had told him there was a way around the mountain halfway up. That could get him to the other side faster. He took some fruit from a tree nearby and quickly started to climb the mountain.

The way around took him two days. When he got down the mountain, he saw a wagon moving towards him. He tries to find cover as he thought it was the search parties or a bounty hunter or a mercenary or some desperate man who needs money. But, it’s neither one of them.

Who is he?


To be continued >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Things about Izzat

Izzat always says:
"I afraid of the dark, as I feel like I am the part of the darkness."
"I afraid to be lonely, as I feel like I am plunging into darkness."
"But, I like to be lonely in the dark."
"I hate to climb up stairs, as I feel it could take forever."
"But, I always walk up the stairs slowly."
"I do it because I am thinking about my problems."
"I hate that."
"That is why I ran."
"To cast away my problems."
"And sitting lonely in the dark."
"That soothes me."
"However, I never bring my problems to my sleep."